Thursday 22 April 2010

Slide Mailers

Have any of you ever been asked to demonstrate something without preparing for it, and made a start thinking, 'I don't know where this is going'? Well, this happened to me with these slide mailers. I had my class on Tuesday and had planned on doing something else, but one of my students had brought along some slide mailers and asked if I would show them how I would approach them. So I made this single mailer, but had no idea what colours I was going to go for, stamps, etc:-


I slapped on acrylic paint in two shades of pink, then some smears of gold, and gold crackle paint on all the corners. I added Crafty Individuals crackle stamp all over, front and back, in Brushed Corduroy and Victorian Velvet, then the same with their flourish in Sepia Archival. I used a large tag shaped Hero Arts stamp which has a clock and the Eiffel tower and the word Time, but just pressed the microscope glass into the piece of the image I wanted, and adhered it in the aperture with a little bit of French book text. I had intended to use accent beads to fill in the little space above the slide aperture but I couldn't lay my hands on it quickly enough so I used Heather Mix Flower Soft as it was on my workdesk. I then added a Pewter Friendly Plastic Eiffel Tower art mould to the front (you can get Friendly Plastic from the Altered Element). I thought I would use a bit of artistic licence and used more Flower Soft at its base, as a sort of jardin des Tuileries effect!

This double one was made in a similar way, but colouring the mailer with Distress Inks instead of acrylic paint, and using some image transfers I had prepared, on the front and inside the mailer.

I did Slide Mailers a while ago for a magazine article but it was fun just to have a little play this time!

14 comments:

  1. I love this I Have just received my three moulds (wish I could of bought more) and the Eiffel tower is one of them filled it with FP and I love this stuff so sparkly I could have a broach earings and matching necklace although I have never made any jewelry so I will have to figure that one out lol

    Love Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the flower soft. I'm a big fan of the stuff!!!

    great slide mailers, love the knitting girl

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful! The flowersoft looks gorgeous! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great slide mailers Lucy, I love the Flower Soft on the Eiffel Tower one and those little vintage girls are so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Truly awesome. Love how you alter your projects, so creative. Thanks for sharing this wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know how much I like mailers and particularly love them when made by you. I have a double mailer (Parisian theme also) as a W.I.P. - you know me, can never have too much of anything Parisian! Beautiful work as always. Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a load of slide mailers somewhere? Makes me want to have a go at decorating some again ! These are lovely !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning slide maielrs Lucy - Well done on getting your creative juices flowing on something you weren't prepared for xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are exquisite. I so admire your ability to make something so beautiful without preparation - such creative spontanaeity - such glorious results!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love these. You've inspired me to get out and finish a slide mailer I started ages ago.

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wowzers! These are amazing, Lucy! Took my breath away!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How lovely and femine Lucy I love the colours I do belive I have some somewhere so must find some time to have a play :)
    TFS
    Luv Von xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. They're fabulous - especially given you did them without any preparation. I'd die if someone did that to me in one of my classes!

    ReplyDelete