Wednesday 1 June 2011

June Crafty Individuals Challenge - Vintage with Hearts - Memories Box

Today is the launch of the June Crafty Individuals challenge, with a theme of Vintage and Hearts. I hope you will play along! Here is my contribution:-



The idea behind it was that a woman whose husband is away fighting in the war, keeps her letters from him and other mementos in this box. I started off by painting a lovely wooden casket which was a present from Alison, using Eco Green acrylic paint in Ocean:-



It's difficult to see in the photo that the surround on the lid of the box is actually a fabric frame, and I applied a little of the paint using a baby wipe, then stamped it with CI258 word stamp and adhered it to the top, with a piece of Travels in Italy paper behind it. The frame encases a picture of her husband, from the People and Places book of images, and the frame itself was a Poundland one which I took a mould of and re-made in friendly plastic and added some rub ons. Because of the curve of the casket it was difficult to adhere it so I softened it very gently with the heat gun to mould it into place. I made the flowers from a mould taken from some Primark jewellery, made up in friendly plastic. I edged the box with Distress Stain in Vintage Photo and some copper Viva Gold.

Here's a photo of all the contents of the box together

And another one!
This next photo shows some of the items in more detail. The locket was from a Primark charm bracelet and I added images from People and Places of the woman's wedding day and their children, carefully cut into heart shapes. The perfume bottle is made from a mould I took of a perfume bottle, the heart shaped padlock to lock the treasures away is another Primark charm, and the frame is a different shaped Poundland one made up in friendly plastic again, with a great grandfather image inside, again from People and Places.

These are the love letters he sent to her, tied with ribbon. I used CI214, together with the postcard, CI302:-

Here I used the Day Out ticket, CI022, and a mixture of tickets from CI239 as Mementos of his visits home. They are coloured with Distress Inks, and held together with a Primark hair clip. The cameo was made from a mould taken from a Primark ring, and dusted with mica powders:-


I added pieces of replica memorabilia, a pen nib, and a piece of her wedding dress veil to add to the story.



I had such fun making this, and I hope you will join in!

16 comments:

  1. WOW! This is so beautiful! I have a wood box at home that I picked up at a thrift shop and I am inspired to work on it now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is truly lovely Lucy
    isa xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is amazing! So many gorgeous details and lovely pieces. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is truly a work of love. The story behind it is so beautiful and romantic and heartbreaking at the same time. The case you created is as stunning as I thought it would be when I saw it a little while ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucy this is a gorgous box :-) I love it all x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful box - wow - great vintage style and I love the "incorporated heart"!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This turned out really cool Lucy. Wonderful colors and stuff inside.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's totally & utterly gorgeous & awe-inspiring Lucy! I love all the pieces you made to go inside! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the box and all the contents. Fabulous.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So much work and so much detail. Absolutely gorgeous.
    Regards Florence.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is gorgeous and such a lovely idea to add all the vintage contents too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Soooo beautiful, and so many fantastic elements - love that you made your own frame, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stunning box! You have such wonderful flair with 3D pieces!

    ReplyDelete