Wednesday 8 June 2011

Gingersnap Creations Challenge - Packaging

Today is the start of a new challenge on Gingersnap Creations, to use packaging materials in your crafting:-



Sometimes I struggle to think of ideas for a challenge, but this time I was spoilt for choice! I love recycling and I use quite a few packaging items in my crafting. I wanted to use as many of these items as possible but stop before I made a dog's dinner! For my card I used my current fave stamps, Think and Wonder by Artistic Outpost from Happy Daze, with Butterfly Garden background paper, also from Happy Daze. I stamped the children and coloured and cut them out, then die cut a piece of clear packaging material with my Baroque die, and embossed it with a numbers Cuttlebug embossing folder to go with my 'first day at school' theme. In my head, big sister is taking little brother to school, holding his hand, and she is wearing her favourite red beret! This is a role reversal as it would have been my lovely brother, John, taking me to school and making sure I was ok.

I made up a black shrinkplastic Jalopy from the Tim Holtz die and made the wheels with pieces of red wire tie from freezer bags, coiled around my jewellery pliers, as I figured they are packaging (or am I stretching a point?!).
I added Bingo style Alphabet tokens to spell Love, as I love my brother and it went with my idea of learning numbers and alphabets at school. I adhered the children to the centre of the clear packaging piece and stapled it in place as staples are often used on cardboard box packaging! To pull things together a bit I edged the card with Antique Linen, which I also used on a bit of bubble wrap (more packaging!) at points around the central image.

I am very excited as I have done a packaging ideas tutorial with a fun project for Gingersnaps on the 10th! Hope you will enjoy it.

16 comments:

  1. What a lovely card, Lucy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great piece, with wonderful use of packaging! Can't wait for the tutorial.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great, can't wait to see your tutorial.
    Jack xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous Lucy, love the clear packaging and how you have embossed it. Telling your story to go with it helps it to come to life even more.
    Hope you're enjoying the week.
    luv and hugs {brenda} xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous card Lucy. Great use of packaging.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucy, this is so much fun--what a fantastic piece!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic piece, it's always fun to create something when you have a story rattling around in your head;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the embossed packaging - such a great use for it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Smashing recycling, Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful project- love the stamps and the fun shrink plastic car.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is great Lucy and I love the clear embossed cut out behine the kids!! Great creation for the packaging theme!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous use of the packing materials!! Thanks for the inspirations!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Simply stunning!

    ReplyDelete