Sunday 4 July 2010

Collaged Oriental Tin

I mentioned before that we were sent such a generous box of items from the Altered Element DT this month that it was difficult to use them all in one project. The theme was stamping on different surfaces, and I still haven't used the Tyvek and the Metal so they will be for another day, but have used several of the materials provided for today's project.




For this tin, which will house a mini album, you will need the following items from the Altered Element:-

Translucent Shrink Plastic
Grungeboard
Angelina Fusible Film, Shimmering Raspberry
Stampbord Dominos
2 ins sq Canvas Board pieces
White Inkssentials Opaque Pen
Glass Tiles
Deko Ice, Amber
Artemio Clear Stamp Set, Bird and Butterfly
Alcohol Inks, Raspberry, Wild Plum, Sunshine Yellow, and Gold Mixative
Stickles or similar
Large Tin

Chipboard Squares
Distress Inks, Wild Honey, Worn Lipstick

I also used some pieces of card left over from the He Loves Me daisy game project.

What I did:-

1. Alcohol ink the tin.
2. Ink the canvas and stampbord pieces with co-ordinating colours of Distress Inks.
3. Stamp blossom and fronds onto stampbord.
4. Stamp the daisy on tissue paper and adhere to canvas. Fill centre with Deko Ice.
5. Make a butterfly with grungeboard and fusible film, layer together, and add Deko Ice to spine.
6. Stamp cherry blossom on rectangles of shrink plastic, shrink, and colour flowers.
7. Adhere pieces of card remaining from He Loves Me project to chipboard squares and behind glass tiles.
8. Stamp the bird on grunge in pink ink, cut out and add Stickles.
9. Add white pen where needed, and scratch back detail on Stampbord, to give white highlights.
9. Assemble as shown.

This was quite a quick project by my very slow standards. I feel collage is something I need to practice as I really admire people like Hels, who do it so well. I don't find it difficult from a technique point of view, just the composition and making sure there is a pleasing juxtaposition of colour and images. I left a few blank areas as I tend to over-do things, plus I aimed for a deliberate lack of symmetry. It is something I want to persevere with. I have a few of the components left over to make another tin, or similar, for a friend.

17 comments:

  1. It's just beautiful. I love your color choices and materials. I'm interested in this fusible film on top of grungeboard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. fab altered tin.....and thank you for the tute

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet little tIn Lucy..hope you having a goodly day x

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS... I just gotta say... the word verification on that last comment was...

    cockfull

    PMSL

    ReplyDelete
  5. And that one was....

    probe

    I am snorting like a schoolgirl here now ROFL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty tin, Lucy!!! You are lucky you get so much to play with but then I am sure you know that... guess I am just a bit jealous LOL... can't wait to see what else you create with your stash, especially with the tyvek!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fab tin, I have deco ice but have never used it yet, fab effect for the flower centres !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love how you've done that Lucy, x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful tin Lucy love the cheerful colours
    Von x

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is so beautiful! & i'm so grateful that you explain how you create your fabulous art.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! I love all the great elements you included!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty, the AI background looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely tin, like the colours used. Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks to me like you can do one just fine. but to answer your question. I started the box first and spent about 4 or 5 hours on it, Just got my stamps today so finished it up with another 2 hours.
    Glad you like it
    hugs Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is lovely. I have been needing some inspiration for a tin I have!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is gorgeous Lucy! I think you do collage very well indeed! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Trying once again to leave a comment ... you can let me know if it works. Gorgeous colours. Lynne x

    ReplyDelete