Tuesday 29 March 2016

Powertex Moth for PaperArtsy Liquid Fabric Hardener Challenge


Don't laugh, this is my first attempt at Powertex other than the Make N Take I did at the Farnborough show. I'm really excited by this medium though, and I'm delighted PaperArtsy are doing a challenge on Liquid Fabric Hardeners, meaning I have to open the Starter Kit I bought at the show and face my fear.

It's a good follow-on topic to art dolls as I did wire-working for the first time, which is a useful skill with this product, but it would have been useful if I had thought to use it then as it would have been great for making skirts for the dolls bodies. Also I wish PaperArtsy had chosen a more consistently sunny time of year as it is so messy I really need to work in the garden. Honestly Leandra, you do need to order the weather!

The first thing I did was to make an armature. This word wasn't in my vocabulary until two weeks ago and now it is my most commonly used word. It's got a really good rhythm to it. Armature. Arm-ature. I'm Mature. Anyhow, I made an armature with 2 mm aluminium wire and it was meant to be a dragonfly but for some unknown reason I extended the body too far above the wings, so Colin said it's a moth. Apart from that, I quite like the shaping of the wings. I filled out the body with foil and masking tape, and criss-crossed the wings with masking tape and painted everything with Bronze powertex.

I then mixed a little bit of the Powertex varnish (you get a weeny bottle like an eye dropper in the starter kit) with some Cosmic Shimmer powders and dusted them on.

Since I got back from Mum's yesterday I've finished Treasure gilding the garden fairy I started on Friday which has hardened nicely over the weekend so I'll get that photographed and blogged. It's got a nice bit of Armature.

I'm entering this into the PaperArtsy Liquid Fabric Hardener Challenge. Can't wait to see all the entries and learn from what everyone does!

6 comments:

  1. He's fabulous. He would make a lovely brooch wouldn't he. Lx

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh well done, Lucy - this looks fab!! are you sure you're mature? lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully creative Lucy, I bought some bits at Farnborough too and still haven't had opened it but this has inspired me to want to have a go, love it. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done for breaking open the Powertex and creating your very own moth - and an armature - wow! I haven't even got any Powertex yet, but I might succumb at Ally Pally! It really does seem to make lovely wings!xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Certainly not laughing - especially as I've seen how fast you moved from this already cute dragonfly to the amazing angel!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete