Monday 28 September 2015

Wood and Canvas Clutch Bag for PaperArtsy - Wearable Art

Over on the PaperArtsy blog it's a theme I love - Wearable Art. What could be better than making something you can wear to match or decorate an outfit, or give to a friend as a gift that they can wear and show off?! I had a great time decorating one of those pliable wood clutch bags you can get. I used the glorious new Lin Brown floral stamps and Limited Edition Fresco colours. Here is the finished bag:-

The step by step and products are over on the PaperArtsy blog here, but I've added some extra photos below. Here is the blank bag. I took the clasp and elasticated strap off and cut a rectangle of canvas with craft knife and metal edge ruler.


Put bag on its end to cut the oval side bits out of canvas sheet.


Cut them out.

Gesso the whole thing to help the glue stick.



Lightly cover shrink plastic with Prof Plum.


Stamp Poppy with StazOn and Paint.


Shrink and mould the layers.


Brayer tissue with the paints and draw round the bag and cut out.


Build up the design, starting with the leaf stencil and Granny Smith.


Build up design with new Lin Brown stamps.


Use gel medium to line the bag with the tissue.



Decorate the prepared canvas in the same way.



Use the flowers from the Bloom and Grow stencil with a mixture of Captain Peacock and Teresa Green.


Mix Professor Plum with Captain Peacock for a luscious Mauve!


Here I wrapped the canvas around the bag to see how it was looking to position my final stamps of the flower and the wording.



I stamped the Poppy in Little Black Dress for a nice strong black so the stamens stood out, and then painted with a mixture of Prof Plum, Captain Peacock, and Satin Glaze, with some highlights of Bougainvillea. I used some Zesty Zing in the middle.


Here's a close up of the bag showing the Poppy Anemone and the Shrink Plastic clasp.



I hope you like my bag and I hope you will join in the Wearable Art challenge - I will be joining in myself as I've got loads of ideas - just hope I don't run out of time!

7 comments:

  1. Oh wow Lucy, this is wonderful, love the way it's decorated inside as well. Fab colours, great for a wedding outfit x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just hopped over from PA - what a brilliant make... love the soft colours and summery feel.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bag is beautiful, Lucy! the new colours are just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is stunning Lucy! Your bags are legend, I thought of you as soon as I saw that theme! :-). xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is amazing Lucy, love your bag! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for your lovely comments on my blog. I was thrilled to have won on the paperartsy challenge and yes boy oh boy did I enjoy spending the winnings, such gorgeous crafty goods to chose from. Thanks again x This clutch bag is so creative and clever. The shrink clasp is beautiful, as are the colours and the techniques used...very clever idea x

    ReplyDelete