Friday 25 September 2015

Birthday Cards with Brushos for PaperArtsy Challenge

It's an important birthday week for me, with four of my most favourite people having birthdays, Julie Ann, my two much loved brothers, and one of my oldest friends, Elaine. Over on the PaperArtsy blog the theme is pigment powders so I decided to experiment with Brushos which I have only got out of the box once since I bought them! For the first card, for John, I used the Lin Brown leaf stencil and mixed the Brushos with modelling paste. I added Brown and Yellow to Leaf Green and once it was dry it acted as a resist to the colours I added over the top so there is a cream shadow around the edge which I quite like. I stamped Artful Blooms and Flora and Fauna from LB01 and 02 in Captain Peacock around the edges. I also used some splatters of Fresco London Bus mixed with Tango, and Zesty Zing. For texture I wanted to use up some Terra I have had in the cupboard for ages so I used it through the Hot Picks numbers stencil and through my favourite Is it Art stencil. Well, I cannot get them clean! Has anyone got any ideas? I have tried my usual tricks with Fairy Power spray and Deco Art Brush Cleaner but it is not budging at all, even though I was fairly quick.
 
For a focal point I have stamped two of the flowers from Lin Brown Eclectica 01 onto black card and cut them out. I layered the panel onto a turquoise card blank I got at Ally Pally on Saturday. I had a fab time by the way. There is a great write up on Helen's blog here. I met so many lovely people, that was the best bit, and PaperArtsy had put so much work into their stand with new products, make and takes, and superb demonstrators. Such a great atmosphere and I have felt so much better for having a day out.


For Elaine's card I used the same leaf stencil and Brusho colours, but this time used with Golden Heavy Modelling Gel. I really like this effect! It holds its peaks like Grungepaste but gives a translucent effect which is a bit different. A nice change. I stamped text with Snowflake onto a piece of Chatsworth and used the other stencils as before. I used the same LB flower stamp as my focal point, and made some shrink plastic flowers for the centres.



I am entering these cards into the PaperArtsy Pigment Powders challenge with is here.

7 comments:

  1. Lucy, these are gorgeous cards! I love how textured they are and, of course, I really like the idea of Shrink Plastic for the centres. Lin's leaves create such a pretty effect of swirling. What a pity about the stencil. I'm not sure what you can do about that if the Fairy Spray won't shift it. I do hope you can get it clean somehow. A beautiful post. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both cards turned out lovely, great effect of the paste and Brushos. Have you tried surgical spirits on your stencils?

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are both gorgeous - lovely to meet you last week xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful cards Lucy.
    Have a lovely weekend.
    Florence xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. How gorgeous these cards are - I love the colourful leaves, especially the glow of the emerald green ones on the second card. I'm sure they will be treasured.

    On the cleaning front, I've heard rumours about rubbing alcohol... don't know, I've not tried it myself I'm afraid.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete