Sunday 30 November 2014

Stamping on Leather Inspired by Liz Borer for Paper Artsy

 
There were some wonderful blog posts on Paper Artsy this month, and a lovely balance between festive and non-festive but the one that completely blew me away was Liz Borer's leather covered book. As I scrolled down the post I went 'oooh' and that was before I realized she had stamped on leather. She has a tremendous sense of composition and colour, and her shading is always beautiful. I also felt that it was brave in itself to stamp and then colour leather, but then to risk making that piece into a book was so courageous.
 
No such courage from me! First of all I wanted to do a test piece. I scoured e bay and bought some pale leather off cuts and did the practice piece above, following Liz's choice of stamps and colours as much as possible. I definitely wasn't going to risk going off piste! I loved doing it and am so thrilled to have another surface I can stamp and paint to add to the mixed media arsenal - I would never have attemped it without Liz's instructions but it was very more-ish!
 
So I was then a teeny bit braver but only to the tune of £3 and another e bay trawl - this time for vintage cream leather gloves. I measure bravery partly in how much money I waste. It took a while to find what I wanted as I didn't want ones that had seams on them that would be difficult to stamp on. The ones I chose had this gorgeous cut out detail which I chose to mask off when stamping so as to make a feature of it.
 
 
I did the flowers in exactly the same way as for the test piece, and as per Liz's instructions. I decided not to do the scrolls and face as I feel something that is to be worn should be a little simpler in style, and I am still not sure whether the recipient will actually wear them or hang them up (or hide them!).
 


Here's a closer shot. My heart was in my mouth when I stamped on them as I knew I only had one chance not to mess up! These are a Christmas gift for a very special person. The gloves are very tiny but she is very petite so I am hoping they are going to fit - it will be a Cinderella moment!



Thank you so much to the Guest Designers this month - I've run out of time as I'm off to Mum's. Thank you to Liz Borer as I will most definitely be stamping on leather again and painting with Frescos and it's been so lovely to have something new to try. I am entering this into the Paper Artsy challenge, inspired by Liz Borer.
 

14 comments:

  1. oh, Lucy you are a star! what a fantastic idea to decorate those already pretty gloves! I hope the recipient loves them and they fit, for they are too pretty not to wear.
    Your test piece also looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superb Lucy! Did my stamping and colouring on learher but not made it up so not entered.

    Hope you use your test piece on a journal cover or similar, too pretty not to use. The gloves are a fab present, so delicate... :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are genius Lucy and I love your definition of bravery. The lady with tiny hands will adore them! Clever girlie! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Lucy these are just beautiful! I admire your bravery - I too loved the post by Liz but I was far too afraid to try it out! I'm sure the recipient will love them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Speechless! Both projects are awesome and I would never have thought of stamping on gloves. It's such an original idea. I am sure the wearer will be thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Lucy these are really gorgeous, fantastic idea to use gloves x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow and then wow again, Lucy! These projects are terrific! The gloves are so stylish and lovely! I can see my fashionista daughter drooling over these! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness Lucy, these are stunning, both the test piece and the beautiful gloves. Lucky, lucky tiny person who is going to receive such an awesome gift ;-). Your bravery has certainly paid off because these projects are breathtaking.

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. How very different Lucy !!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not brave?? wow, those gloves are outstanding, Lucy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous!!! Both your test piece and the gloves!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The gloves are beyond beautiful, Lucy. I didn't catch the original post, but I can see how inspired you were by that lovely book cover. And I can just imagine the recipient's joy when they see these exquisite gloves.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow Lucy these are great you clever girl and very brave lol!! what a very clever idea xxx

    ReplyDelete