Friday 5 April 2013

Beautiful For Something - Pride and Prejudice Notebook


This make turned out to be much more problematic than I thought! How often do I say that! I wanted to make a notebook for my dear friend, Pauline's, birthday, as she carries around with her a notebook I decorated for her many years ago which she takes to shows with a list of what colours of Pro Markers she has, etc, in it. I had in mind to cover it with some adhesive fabric I had bought a while ago which I thought would make it quite textured but it turned out to be not very sticky, and to be quite stiff to work with. I wanted it to have an interesting 'feel' to it, without having too many bits stuck on that might fall off when it gets pulled in and out of her bag. I also found the fabric didn't take ink or glue very well either. I almost pulled the fabric off and scrapped it, and I am not sure now whether to give it to her or not. I know she would be appreciative of any present I gave her, but her own work is always such perfection.

Anyway, that aside I wanted the design to incorporate butterflies, for the Country View Crafts Challenge, so I used some pieces from the Tim Holtz melange tissue wrap. I was desperate to ink up the gorgeous Mr Darcy stamps Pauline gave me for my birthday which also makes this a fitting entry for the Indigo Blu challenge, which is Words and Phrases. I used their Background Script stamp over the whole of the back and front of the notebook, as well as the Pride and Prejudice quote. I painted the design with Fresco Finish paints, using the colours of the fabric to dictate my colour choices. I wanted to join in the Artistic Stamper  challenge  which this month is Texture as the fabric makes the whole notebook feel very tactile in the hand (the only thing that stopped me ripping it off and replacing it with paper), but for extra texture I added the only thing in this make that I am happy with - the flowers. I glued little pieces of the fabric onto grungepaper and inked up the stamp and pressed them onto the areas where the flowers were and cut them out. IRL they look really textured and I added some touches of paint to them to make sure each flower had the right mix of blue and pink, and added Claret in the centres.

Here's the reverse of the notebook just to show the pretty fabric and its texture, and the text:-



To finish off, I glazed the focal image to bring out the colours.

19 comments:

  1. For all of your doubts..it looks lovely in the picture!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you should give this to Pauline. You may have had a few issues while working on this, but it all turned into perfection! It is gorgeous! Truly! I am battling with something right now!!!!!! Hugs and happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely! I never would've know that you had problems with it. It is a beautiful gift that I am sure will be cherished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its beautiful Lucy and am sure she will love it. Hugs Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes the things that are the hardest or most difficult to create turn out to be the wonderful - just like this creation. Hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't doubt yourself it has turned out beautifully ... a gift to cherish, I'm sure your friend will love it especially as she gave you the stamps in the first place. xxx :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful note book, the colours are gorgeous and the stamping is fabulous ! I'm sure your friend will adore it ! Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your friend will love this Lucy - it's beautiful.
    xxx hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous book, Lucy, Thank you for joining in The Artistic Stamper Challenge this month :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a thoughtful friend you are and the result an absolutely beautiful book and wonderful keepsake.

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE it! I agree with Anne - most of the time the items that have been the toughest to make have turned out to be my best work. I think this is amazing! Lots of love from Laura xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. A beautiful note book! Love the design and the colours. Simply lovely. Chris xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely notebook Lucy, full of detail. Thank you for joining us over at the Indigo Blu challenge. Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great project, I am sure that your friend will love it...thank you for joining us in our second Forever 21 Challenge blog...Jo. X

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, I think it's lovely! And whatever happened to "Embrace Imperfection" - this will make a beautiful, beautiful gift. Gorgeous fabric and the stamping and painting is just lovely... I'm so behind on visiting that you may already have handed it over of course!!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really beautiful Lucy, lovingly handmade your friend will love it, I know I would. I always cherish any handmade gift I receive. xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is just flat out pretty, Lucy--what a wonderful gift!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just saw this as I went in - very late - for the Country View comp. It stood out among the other entries it was so lovely so no need to doubt yourself. Mind you, I'm always reaching points of total self doubt with projects! x Julie Ann.

    ReplyDelete