Saturday 22 July 2017

Kitchen Cupboard Art


I would love to tell you about my visit to the Work and Play Scrapstore in Tooting, the other week. My friend, Berit who volunteers there, took me, and I think all you crafters in the London area would absolutely love it! They are a charity who provide art and craft materials to the community, using donations from local businesses, in order to promote upcycling. You can subscribe as an individual or group membership for a modest fee so that you can go along and help yourself to the most amazing materials to use in your projects. There were swathes of velvet, batches of leather, books of carpet samples, images for doing transfers, chunks of wood, beautiful, beautiful fabrics. Fill a bag. My creative juices were flowing with ideas in moments.

They had a huge stack of 'paint chip tiles' which had evidently come from a company making bespoke kitchen units where you can have any colour of your dreams. I thought it would be a variation on american paint chip art to use these wood pieces, complete with their colour names, and of course my mind was on aqua for the challenge. I decided to make a triptych using three graduating shades, and I mounted them on one of their blocks of wood. I coloured a huge piece of calico (above) in shades of aqua to cover the wood and it looked really pretty.

I then used baby wipes to cover some pieces of card with various shades of aqua fresco paint and then did the same with some yellows and oranges and then some greens. I then stamped some Tracy Scott flowers and layered them up on my triptych, cutting pieces in half where they overlapped two tiles. Sorry I'm doing this away from home and I'm struggling a bit with the layout on my new tablet

I'm entering this into the PaperArtsy challenge which is Aqua. I do hope you will have a look at the website for the Work and Play Scrapstore. They are happy for people to arrange a visit to look around if you get in touch and are incredibly friendly. If you are after some unique items for your crafting or you need a decent supply for your crafting group, it will be right up your street.



11 comments:

  1. wow, what an interesting place! off to check out their website. Love your aqua challenge piece, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is another stunning creation Lusy, lovely flowers and beautiful Aqua. I love the triptych. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is lovely, Lucy! The combination of oranges with the aquas draws the eye in. Good luck in the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like an amazing place, Lucy - and I can see it set your Mojo running! Love your aqua triptych, with the beautifully contrasting orange sunshine colours in the flowers. Lovely!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a fabulous place to visit Lucy, and I love what you've made with your paint chip tiles, such a happy piece xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow what a great place that sounds! I probably have a tonne of stuff I could donate too! Love your project Lucy! Thanks for joining the challenge! Leandra x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucy this is so lovely, colours are fab. My husband was born in Tooting ( many, many years ago) will have to have a visit up to London and call in. X

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like heaven Lucy. Loving your triptych and congrats on winning the challenge! Xx 😊

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such gorgeous contrast and awesome use of the paint chips. Love this to bits and biggest congrats on your win. Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete