Friday 25 November 2011

Alice in Wonderland - in Fall Colours


I couldn't resist joining in an Altered Alice challenge, as I need an excuse to make Alice in Wonderland artwork otherwise you will think I am just obsessed! I have been restrained for a long time now! The challenge this month is to use fall colours, and it seemed strange not to give Alice her customary blue dress, but it was fun once I got into it! You don't have to follow an Alice theme for the Altered Alice blog, but why wouldn't I?!

The image I had in my mind was of Alice falling down the rabbit hole into the hall of doors, taking the Autumn leaves with her. I had the perfect stamp for the hall, from the Eternity plate by Non Sequitur, which was just the right size for the little back to front canvas. The depth of the frame added to the sense of perspective, with the full size Alice on the edge, and the shrunk (shrink plastic) version where the corridor narrows. She has drunk from the 'Drink Me' bottle, a shrink plastic version of the bottle from the Vintage Apothecary set by Artistic Outpost from Happy Daze. Now that she has shrunk she cannot reach the golden key, made from a mould and friendly plastic, with some gold Inka Gold, from Happy Daze, rubbed on.

I started off by painting the frame and sides with bronze paint and gathered up some brown organza to represent the curtains, with a sequin trim at the top for the pelmet. I coloured the stamped corridor image with Pro Markers in shades of brown and orange, also used to colour Alice.

I finished off with some very brightly coloured Autumn leaves, in orange, bronze, and green, so I am also entering this for the Happy Daze challenge which is An Explosion of Colour, as that is what the trees outside my house look like at the moment.

20 comments:

  1. AMAZING! Lucy, I love the depth you have created with the two Alice images! Great idea to shrink the image to play right along witht he story! You even added the potion bottle! Have a great Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving your great backdrop and colour scheme, it looks like a theatre set. Have a great weekend, Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely imaginative piece! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. very pretty, thank you for entering it into the Happy daze Challenge this month. G x

    ReplyDelete
  5. So clever Lucy - the depth to this is amazing and I love the idea of falling into it.
    Hope all is well.
    Have a great weekend.
    luv and hugs {brenda] xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucy this is wonderful - love the curtains - it does have the effect that she is about to go DOWN!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lucy. Fab effect you have created. Really clever. Gorgeous project.
    Have a great weekend.
    Regards Florence x

    ReplyDelete
  8. very very cool. love the drama of it! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for playing along with The Altered Alice! The use of shrink is really brilliant, and I love the way you've framed your scene, such great depth!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The depth is amazing, Lucy. What a wonderful hall stamp! I really like the idea of Alice on the outside looking down the hall. Such a unique project!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lucy this is just fabulous. And that sequin trim is just WOW. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing depth you've created here! The colors are beautiful and I love the shrink plastic Alice and bottle. Fabulous work. thanks for joining us at The Altered Alice. xxD

    ReplyDelete
  13. Utterly amazing Alice. The curtains are just the right touch. Love it! take care, gerri

    ReplyDelete
  14. So delightful - Lucy thank you for such a lovely tribute to Alice. Great detail & amazing depth.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like Alice's new colour scheme - great work! x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous design, wonderfully balanced

    ReplyDelete
  17. A wonderful piece!!! I love it!!! Thanks for the comment on my blog!! I hope you feel better soon!!!

    ReplyDelete