Sunday 27 June 2010

Papier Mache Mannequin

I made this papier mache mannequin using one of the collage plates from the Artistic Stamper, and their Dressmaking Plate.


I painted the mannequin with flesh coloured paint and stamped a variety of the images onto tissue paper, including the words 'Perfectly Fitted' and the tape measure from the Collage Plate. I also stamped some of the images onto her 'work pinny', which was a Poundland crochet coaster, to which I added a few buttons and poppers, a safety pin and pearl headed pin for texture and interest. I added a scrap of lace to her neckline as a collar, which was my friend, Von's, idea, as she was here yesterday and I said, 'where shall I put this scrap of lace?'. I cut a piece of tape measure twill, also from the Artistic Stamper, and added a bit of memory foil to the ends to look like the metal ends of a tape measure and to stop it fraying and make it drape a bit better.

Finally I stood her on two old wooden thread spools, but I haven't stuck them down as I am not sure about this bit? My thinking was, it makes her look like she has chunky thighs, but as she has a perfect bosom and a tiny waist, that seemed only fair!

11 comments:

  1. An amazing piece! Love all of the details. Great idea for a lace coaster as the apron. Too funny about the chunky thighs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous piece Lucy! Looks like her pink cotton reel 'stocking' is falling down - is she Nora Batty?! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet little piece, love her draped tape measure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is charming and so very clever

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it Lucy and I think the cotton reels are just perfect, x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, chunky thighs...makes her a proper woman LOL Love this Lucy, tis fab x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chunky thighs, has she hit menopause?? Fabulous piece down to the apron!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the whole thing! If you truly want thinner thighs, try some thimbles. I like it the way it is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is fantastic, Lucy and I adore her pinny!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is cute Lucy. Aren't those coasters one of the best finds in Poundland?! I make sure I always have a stock of them. TFS your artwork. Lynne x

    ReplyDelete