Sunday 16 March 2014

Mon Ami Pierrot - Inspired (Loosely) by Julie Ann Lee for Paper Artsy


This week has been the turn of the sweetest Paper Artsy Guest Designer of them all, lovely Julie Ann Lee! The last couple of times it has been Julie Ann's turn I don't seem to have managed to join in so I was determined to have a go. She has the knack of looking at the world around her through an artistic eye and bringing her interpretation to us, this week in the form of a series of three canvases featuring the Green Man. She said she was worried we might be scared of masks as some people apparently are, and the Green Man can be rather gargoyle-esque, but it certainly hasn't put anyone off judging by the number of amazing challenge contributions. What a talent to be able to inspire people in that way!


Well, I love masks, bring it on, I'm not scared at all! I am scared of men with beards, but that's to do with the fireman in Trumpton! I decided to go a bit off piste and do a Pierrot mask rather than a green man, for the very simple reason that I have had my Paper Artsy Pierrot stamps for some time and haven't used them, and this seemed a good opportunity.

I ordered a couple of ceramic masks from ebay which looked like the ones Julie Ann had used, and as she said, the Frescos went on like a dream. I used a coat of Snowflake first off, then the eyes, a scull cap, and tears with Little Black Dress, and lips with London Bus. I painted a chunky 6 x 6 canvas with French Roast, then added Crackle Glaze, then a mixture of Pansy and Lilac and Eggplant. I embossed the Story of Pierrot wording in black ep (I used plates 3 and 4), and also the Pierrot image. I stamped the remaining images from the plates and gold embossed onto green Chatsworth paper. This bit I wasn't happy with, I wish I hadn't used green. I mounted these pieces onto black cardstock, including the Pierrot on the Promenade wording.

Then I mixed grungepaste with Old Gold and puff paint and smeared it through a distressed harlequin stencil as I associate harlequins with Pierrot, and sprinkled with gold ep before heating with a heat gun. I then added a bit more gold with Brass Treasure Gold and also used some round the edges.

I gave Pierrot a white ruffle using the Tim Holtz rosette die and added lots of mauve feathers as I also associated feathers with masks. Wasn't sure I liked this bit either. I then added my remaining images here and there, and some pearls as I felt it needed lifting with a bit more white.

Do have a look at Julie Ann's Green Men if you haven't all ready. I am entering this week's challenge which is here.

15 comments:

  1. oh, Lucy I love this !! what a great idea to do the Pierrot!! It looks absolutely wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of work Lucy and well worth it. Love the textures and all the stamping. It fits together beautifully. Julie Ann will be honoured to inspire this piece. You write really well too. Have really enjoyed looking! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Lucy, this contains some of my favourite things (brief pause for a quick burst of Julie Andrews!) I love pierrots and I have those lovely PA stamps too! I love your interpretation. It's been such fun to see the amazing directions people have flown off in this week and I feel honoured when I see all the gorgeous pieces folks have created including this exquisite piece. Thank you so much for playing along. I have to echo Hazel's comment! You write so well, you create wonderfully and it's been a joy to take a peek at all the great detail on this. Julie Ann xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting mixture you've used to create your textures. Love the gold highlights and it's a good idea to translate the green man into Pierrot. Lovely canvas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ohh fabulous take on the project!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this and it is a great interpration of the project. Pierrot's are my favorite type of clown.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your Pierrot - what a great twist on Julie Ann's amazing inspiration. The layers of texture are fabulous, and I love that the whole thing was about inking up those gorgeous Pierrot stamps - brilliantly done!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Lucy thanks for visiting my nest, well I agree this is a brilliant take on the mask, the canvas is gorgeous, I love those stamps too, the feathers are extra special, it's beautiful creation, thanks for sharing, have a wonderful week..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your Pierrot take on this, Lucy. If you want to give your Pierrot stamps another airing then this Thursday's Tag Along theme is Pierrot! Deb. http://tagalongchallenge.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have really been inspired by Julie Ann this week and produced a magnificent and unique piece of art. Love it.
    Have a great week.
    hugs {brenda} x0x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lucy, I love your canvas and all the elements you added! That mask is fabulous! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's gorgeous Lucy! Love the Pierrot face and the background.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wowser Lucy, what a gorgeous project. Love all the stamping and the mask looks fab
    Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love pierrot face and your background is tunning :) Thank you for the very kind comments on my blog. Love your DT pieces for Snazzys and hope your French Getaway has remained safe, hope the village is recovering x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow wow wow absolutely gorgeous awesome canvas. Julie-Ann is certainly an amazing lady and it must have been fantastic meeting her. I loved the green man she did, I have one the background and the amazing corrugated card she did, but then got stuck on the face. I hadn't got a clue where to get one from, where did you get yours? I love how you have done the background to suit the pierrot and the feathers look fab. I love the look of feathers but only use them when I really need to as I'm allergic lol. Have a fantastic day :-) Kezzy xxxxx

    ReplyDelete