Tuesday 3 July 2012

Crafty Individuals' Quadruple Slide Mailer




I was in the mood to make something textural and I thought I would use a quadruple slide mailer. I used an image from one of the Crafty Individuals' miniatures books, People and Places, and poured UTEE from the melt pot onto it, into a cookie cutter, and removed the backing by dropping it in water and rubbing the paper away with my finger. I then glued it to the centre of the mailer and melted it again, letting some of the UTEE drip, then dropping in seed beads. I rubbed Inka Gold, from Happy Daze, onto the raised areas of the texture paste, which I also rubbed over the pink seed beads as I thought they were a bit brighter than I wanted.


For the inside of the mailer I used loads of stamps from Crafty Individuals, CI 171, 188, 182, 203, and 258, layering them up in different shades of ink. The little girl collage stamp was a present from Petra and I love her; thank you Petra! For the book text I did an experiment, which I was really pleased with. I covered some book pages with clear packaging tape and obviously it had text on both sides. I wanted something more transparent that would blend in so I popped it in a bowl of water and rubbed off the backing, so it just had one layer of text. I have done this with images before, which was a brilliant tutorial by Ali on Gingersnaps,  but not with book pages. I then applied it in little pieces using gel matte medium, which also had the effect of mattifying the shiny tape so it blended in further.


The microscope slide images are also from the People and Places book. I don't have many images of this size though - does anyone know where I can source some please? I was really pleased with my experiment here. I used the same method to rub the backing off the images so that they would look like transparencies and then adhered them to book paper using gel matte medium, so that the text showed through, but you still have the lovely colours that are part of the Crafty Individuals' design. On the second one from the left, unfortunately I let the tape touch the image before I had stretched it flat (I don't have a tape dispenser and I get in a real tangle). I was going to do another image to replace it but I quite like how it adds to the worn look! If you open up the photo I hope you can see the book text.

To finish off, I added glossy accents to the top and bottom of the slide apertures and sprinkled in some seed beads. I have a new crafty friend, Susie, who took a fancy to this whilst I was making it, so I have gifted it to her today. She said her husband hadn't understood why he had been asked to look out for microscope slides for us, so now he will know why!

Here's a photo of the slide mailer standing. As the beads are very blingy, I am entering this fot the Stamp Man challenge which is Bling it On.






21 comments:

  1. Hi Lucy. Beautiful project. Fab texture on the lid.
    Regards Florence x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lucy, how gorgeous is this, beautifully tactile, love those crafty individual images on the inside. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous, a lovely use of the slide mailer. For microscope slide sized images, try ArtChix Studio (artchixstudio.com). They have lots of things, including digi versions so you don't have to pay for postage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucy, Well the first thing that comes to mind is, GORGEOUS! The texture you created is amazing and I so love the seed beads, as you know! So next, I must actually plug in my melt pot and pour some UTEE over an item! Love this slide mailer! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the most fabulous mailer Lucy, with amazing texture on the outside and beautiful images and stamping on the inside. I am so pleased to see you creating such inspirational pieces again.
    Have a great week.
    hugs {brenda} xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving your slide mailer Lucy with great texture. Crafty Individuals do some great designs for slide mailers as do Retro Cafe Art. Hugs Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful Lucy and what fab texture :)
    Von ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. How simply amazing! I adore every side and view. do take care, gerri

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great slidemailer Lucy !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thisis a wonderful ede! Love it trace x

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a wonderful slidemailer Lucy, loving all that texture
    hugs and best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Lucy, Lucy, Lucy, this is gorgeous - vintage and feminine and nostalgic

    If you ever visit Norfolk - you'll have to pop in and give me a lesson or two!

    The white fish on my blog that you mentioned - I took a mould from a weird old bendy metal fish that I found years ago in a junk shop - and the amount of times it has gone in the bin - then rescued because I had a change of heart that it would come in handy one day - and yesterday was that day. It was awkward making a mould from it as it has bent bits of metal sticking up and the top and along the bottom too - but I cut those off once out of the mould.

    Would you like me to send you the mould - and I can make another one for myself - I have the mould stuff in the post. Email me with your address and I'll pop it in the post by the end of the week.

    It's flat backed by the way. What have you in mind - you can let me know in an email - I won't snitch.

    ReplyDelete
  13. lovely project...the texture on the front cover is great

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's lovely Lucy, the UTEE image with the beads looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful texture achieved.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jaw dropping gorgeous Lucy. I've never done one with four slots!
    hugs Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, this is so stunning! Gorgeous!

    Greetings from Vienna,

    die amelie

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so beautiful Jane. It's hard to believe it was a slide mailer originally.

    Hugs
    x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beyond gorgeous! Inside and out this one is a total stunner!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous piece Lucy! Great techniques! xx

    ReplyDelete